POSITION: Michigan State Director POSTING DATE: July 30, 2012
LOCATION: East Lansing, MI CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking a full-time State Director to oversee our programs in Michigan. Clean Water Action (CWA) is a national citizens’ organization working for clean, safe, affordable water, prevention of health threatening pollution, creation of environmentally safe jobs and businesses, and empowerment of people to make democracy work. Clean Water Action has over one million members in 18 states and the District of Columbia, and over 250,000 members in Michigan. Clean Water Fund (CWF) is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues relating to water, waste and toxics.
Overall responsibility for leading and developing Clean Water’s work in Michigan, including the following specific responsibilities:
- Develop and oversee programs and campaigns, including legislative and electoral campaigns, community and coalition organizing, policy development, research and public education programs. Provide direction to local and state campaigns. Work with national staff to implement local and state elements of national campaigns.
- Lead planning and implementation of strategies to build Clean Water Action in Michigan.
- Hire, train, supervise and develop program staff.
- Develop and implement fundraising plans in coordination with national staff, raising funds from foundations, individual donors and other sources.
- Provide program direction and support for field and phone canvass programs. Work in partnership with canvass leadership to build strong canvass programs.
- Oversee administrative and financial management systems and strategies, including budgets and other financial management tools.
- Represent Clean Water in work with other organizations, public officials, funders and the media.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership to build and direct the organization and its programs.
- Extensive experience as a manager or organizer with an environmental or other non-profit organization.
- Proven ability to supervise, support and develop staff and volunteers, including people located in different cities.
- Experience developing and working with leadership bodies such as boards of directors, campaign or coalition steering committees.
- Experience with issues, campaigns, and organizing. Environmental experience is preferred though not required. Experience with grassroots and coalition organizing and campaigns is highly desirable, as is experience with electoral campaigns.
- Successful fundraising experience with foundations, major donors, and events.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills and computer literacy.
- Proven strategic planning and operational management skills, including the ability to manage diverse projects and personnel, budgets and multiple priorities.
- Experience with professional canvass programs is highly desirable.
- Regular travel throughout Michigan, and to occasional national gatherings, required.
- Compensation depending on qualifications. Attractive benefits package.
- Start Date: As soon as possible.
To apply please send letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Robert Wendelgass, Clean Water Action, 1315 Walnut Street, Suite 1650, Philadelphia PA 19107.
Interested internal candidates, please contact your supervisor.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Clean Water welcomes diversity in the workplace.