Deadline: May 8, 2013 or until position is filled
Michigan Voice is a state based collaboration formed in 2005 to improve long-term coordination and communication among nonprofit civic engagement organizations in Michigan. The collaboration’s nonpartisan mission is to engage underrepresented and socially responsible voters in the democratic process and to establish collective action around a common issue agenda.
Michigan Voice is seeking a well-organized, self-starter for a 6-month full time position as a Detroit-based Field Organizer. We seek an individual who can manage multiple responsibilities, maintain good relationships with partner organizations, work well as a team player in a fast-paced organization, and has a working knowledge of the nonprofit community in the City of Detroit.
Key responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Build and maintain relationships with local community anchor organizations.
- Coordinate voter contact work within Detroit’s newly defined council districts.
- Assist Detroit civic engagement partners with utilizing the Voter Activation Network (VAN).
- Assist capacity building efforts including field trainings and data trainings.
- Support the overall work of the organization.
- At least 2 years experience in labor, political, or community organizing.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with a diverse set of partner organizations.
- Willingness to set clear goals, and skill in working both independently and collaboratively to meet goals.
- Strong commitment to social and economic justice.
- Excellent inter-personal and time management skills.
- A working knowledge of the nonprofit community in the City of Detroit.
- Working knowledge of the VAN is preferred.
Terms of Employment: This is a 6-month contract. Pay is commensurate with experience. Applicants must have their own car.
Application Process: To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Robert Nothoff at [email protected], subject line: Michigan Voice Detroit Organizer.