Application Deadline: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 or until filled
Progress Michigan is organizing for progressive change. Over the past few years we’ve had some great successes, but there are more to come. We are hiring a Communications Director to help make that happen.
Position Overview: As Communications Director, you will be responsible for driving media and online campaigns and those of our partners in the progressive community. This includes coordinating with allies in the progressive community, designing the strategy and tactics, and then implementing all aspects of the campaign.
You will be developing and deploying new and traditional media communications. You should either know your way around the back end of web technology or have the willingness and skills to learn. You will be teaching others these skills.
You will be adept and creative at organizing and mobilizing folks to make a difference. You’ll need to be able to turn on a dime, so when there’s a new idea on Monday afternoon, you can implement it Tuesday before noon. Perhaps most importantly, you’ll need an entrepreneurial spirit to help take Progress Michigan to the next level.
REQUIREMENTS: To set our Communications Director up for success, we have identified three critical skill-sets necessary to excel in this role – roughly grouped into Communications, Technology and Scalable Organizing skills. Strong candidates will be skilled in all three areas. But we also encourage candidates to apply who don’t have deep expertise in all three areas, but have exceptional skills in one or two areas, and the hunger and aptitude to learn the other areas quickly.
- Powerful writer for various audiences, especially short and grabby email actions, press releases with unique and creative quotes and op-eds that speak to their intended audience
- Knows what media tactics will attract press coverage, how to pitch a story and makes themselves indispensible to reporters and assignment editors
- Able to quickly synthesize information about new topics
- Thrives on the constant adrenaline of the news cycle
- Has an existing network of reporters or the ability to quickly establish those relationships
- Adept at figuring out creative ways of leveraging technology to amplify our message
- Skilled at testing new uses of technology, and knows how to measure what’s working
- Has managed and scoped out web tools
- Constantly thinking of creative new ways to mobilize supporters and have an impact
- Can integrate online communications and organizing with offline organizing as needed
- Social media organizing experience is strongly preferred
- Experience directing advocacy campaigns is preferred
- Ability to manage staff and volunteers and conduct trainings
- Likes teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- Can plan and manage complex projects under relentless deadlines
- Is low-ego and high-output (like the rest of our team)
- Can change directions quickly and frequently
- Likes working hard with a hard-working team
- Communicates well on conference calls, IM and email
- This position is located in our Lansing, MI office
To Apply: Please email a resume, cover letter and writing sample, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to Lonnie Scott, executive director at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Director.”
Progress Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.