Position Announcement – Communities Coordinator
The Michigan Immigrant Rights Center (MIRC) is seeking a Communities Coordinator. This is a full-time position based in MIRC’s Kalamazoo office. This is a grant-funded position expected to last at least one year, with the possibility of extension dependent on funding.
The Michigan Immigrant Rights Center provides training, education and support to a statewide network of immigration advocacy and community organizations that provide direct social and legal services to Michigan immigrants. MIRC also acts as a statewide policy voice for immigrants in Michigan, and a primary goal of MIRC is to effect long term systemic and social change to help alleviate and end the many disparities faced by Michigan’s immigrant population. MIRC’s website contains more information about our work: www.MichiganImmigrant.org
● Lead efforts in West Michigan for MIRC’s Welcoming Michigan program – see
● Coordinate MIRC’s external communications relating to immigration and immigrant rights in Michigan. This includes developing content for email updates, MIRC’s website, and MIRC’s social media platforms.
● Coordinate and engage membership of statewide network of immigration service providers.
● Provide administrative and logistical support with the goal of promoting and growing MIRC as a
reputable advocate resource for immigration law and immigrant rights training, capacity building, and technical legal assistance
● Knowledge of and an affinity for Michigan immigration and immigrant rights issues
● Strong commitment to social justice
● Community organizing experience
● Relevant foreign language skills preferred ● Strong written and verbal communication
● Computer and administrative skills
● Ability to work occasional evenings and
● Ability to travel as needed (mileage
reimbursed at the IRS rate)
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant
￼￼Salary is from $30,000 dependent on experience. The position includes a “cafeteria plan” fringe benefit package, which includes disability, dental, medical, and vision. Please apply by emailing a cover letter and resume to the Managing Attorney at email@example.com. Equal opportunity employer.
Posted January 29, 2014. Position is open until filled.