Reports to the Executive Director
The Michigan Association for Justice’s Director of Communications will be responsible for developing an external communications plan to support MAJ’s legislative and political goals, and to promote the civil justice system and the positive image of trial lawyers. This individual will effectively communicate with members and potential members statewide about MAJ’s programs, services and goals. They will support MAJ’s membership outreach, retention, and recruitment goals and to MAJ’s services and programs.
Duties and responsibilities
- Writes and produces news releases, research materials, and guest editorials to keep media informed of legislative positions, community activities and other pertinent issues.
- Develops relationships with reporters and editors and strives to maintain open dialogue between MAJ and news media.
- Responds to media requests for information and/or contacts appropriate MAJ officers or members whose expertise fits the subject under consideration for interviews.
- Maintains files of news clippings and photos and distributes print articles to AAJ and to appropriate MAJ members or committees.
- Assists lobbyists with miscellaneous activities including: drafting position papers and talking points, and contacting and preparing witnesses for legislative committee presentations.
- Develops relationships with allied organizations to assist with MAJ’s legislative, political and public relations agendas.
- Writes and produces talking points and supportive material to assist with outreach and message delivery.
- Maintains the MAJ Facebook Page and researches the potential for use of social media as a marketing/communications tool.
- Writes and edits weekly Legislative Capitol Briefing emails.
- Writes and coordinates content of MAJ web site including soliciting and maintaining web site advertisements.
- Assists with updates to the No-Fault Redbook Online.
- Writes and oversees content and design of miscellaneous brochures and mailings.
- Writes content for monthly newsletters as needed.
- Responds to membership requests for research and assistance with messaging on MAJ issues.
- Attends all meetings and seminars as required by the Executive Director.
- Provides general MAJ staff assistance as needed.
- Coordinates and assists with community outreach programs including Peoples Law Schools and Bike Helmet Programs.
Applicants should have 3-5 years of experience in communications, marketing, or the legal profession. Extra consideration will be given to those who have some background in Michigan politics, graphic design, or journalism.
This is a full-time position based in Lansing, Michigan. Salary and benefits are based on experience. The Michigan Association for Justice is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please submit resume, cover letter and 3 references to Steve Pontoni,email@example.com by April 29th, 2016.