Job Description: Main Street Alliance Michigan Lead Organizer
Position Overview: Main Street Alliance (501(c)(3)) and Main Street Alliance Action Fund (501(c)(4)) are seeking a Michigan Lead Organizer to focus on grassroots organizing and leadership development, campaign management, partner and ally relationship building, as well as some fundraising to support building a Main Street Alliance Chapter in Michigan.
About the Main Street Alliance: Main Street Alliance is a national network of state-based small business coalitions working to elevate the voices of small business owners on issues that impact their businesses, their employees, and the communities that they serve. Founded in 2008 to ensure that small business owners voices were heard in the campaign to win affordable health care, Main Street Alliance now works on a range of issues in cities and states across the country, our policy agenda includes tax and budget fairness, comprehensive immigration reform, money in politics issues and a variety of job quality issues. We are led by a diverse group of small business owners at the state and national levels.
Grassroots Outreach & Leadership Development
- Conduct small business recruitment drives in key areas around the state using direct canvass-based outreach to recruit small business members; recruit and train volunteers/interns to participate in small business outreach blitzes and other outreach/contact strategies.
- Hold organizing meetings in key areas around the state to build local small business leadership teams, engage small business owners on a deeper level, and identify potential small business spokespeople and candidates for a coalition steering committee.
- Identify and develop small business leadership/spokesperson teams for direct engagement with decision-makers, media opportunities, and peer outreach through one-on-ones, organizing meetings and small business leadership trainings.
- Engage emerging small business leaders in peer outreach and research – collecting petitions and surveys – to develop leadership and build resources for research products.
- Continue to build out and develop diverse statewide leadership circle and executive steering committee for the Main Street Alliance of Michigan.
- Work with MSA staff and state level ally advisory committee to meet goals within the state fundraising plan.
- Work with Main Street Alliance staff and local coalition allies to develop a coordinated small business outreach and organizing plan for the state, and participate in the development of the national Main Street Alliance network.
- Organize statewide and local tactics, action steps and events in coordination with the national small business campaign plan – leverage the voices of small business owners to impact the public debate.
- Deep commitment to a vision of racial, social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice of small business owners in Michigan.
- Strong commitment to organizing through relationship building.
- At least 2 years experience in community/grassroots organizing, &/or political campaigns
- Ability to communicate effectively and engage members of the business community at their level.
- Strong written and verbal skills, and ability to listen.
- Ability to produce consistent, quality work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with/within the Michigan business community, (current connections and relationships developed with high-profile locally owned and operated businesses a plus)
- Experience working in or with the Legislature.
- Experience with grassroots fundraising.
- Willingness and ability to travel around the state on a regular basis and work flexible hours required.
- Ability to work independently and strong time management skills.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet & database, Power Point, electronic communication).
- Ability to speak Spanish or other languages a plus.
- Experience with national campaigns or large municipal/state coalitions a plus.
- A passion for organizing and a sense of humor.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is based on experience; please include desired range in cover letter. Our competitive benefits package includes family medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with 3% employer contribution after six months of employment; flexible spending account; life insurance; and paid time off at the end of December in addition to paid vacation.
To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resumé and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with subject line: Michigan Lead Organizer
We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our organizing team! Main Street Alliance is committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced organizers and activists of all backgrounds, to apply.