The Michigan League of Conservation Voters is seeking a full-time Northern Michigan Regional Coordinator to build power, presence and relationships on behalf of our organization, and to organize citizens to get involved and make the protection of Michigan’s land, air and water a political priority.
The ideal candidate will be a rising community leader and strong organizer who can serve as Michigan LCV’s ambassador to new networks and build long-lasting relationships with our members in Northern Michigan. They will be committed to building, organizing and growing a strong base of supporters for action on land, air and water issues and to sharing Michigan LCV’s work with new audiences. They will be able to work independently, take initiative, and be resourceful to make things happen. This position is an opportunity to become the local resource on politics and the environment, and to build strong relationships with elected officials, partner organizations, grasstops leaders and grassroots advocates.
About the Michigan League of Conservation Voters
The Michigan League of Conservation Voters is a statewide political organization whose mission is to elect pro-conservation candidates to office and to hold all decision makers accountable for protecting Michigan’s land, air and water. We work closely with elected officials, business leaders, partner organizations and advocates from across the state, and we have built a reputation as the most-effective non-partisan political voice for Michigan’s natural resources.
The Northern Michigan Regional Coordinator, who is based in Traverse City and reports to the Political and Outreach Director, is responsible for the following:
● Building a strong, sustainable, growing team of volunteers advocating on land, air and water issues
● Developing relationships with key, local opinion leaders, including elected officials and business leaders, who can play important, strategic roles in Michigan LCV’s work
● Creating and organizing a steady drumbeat of advocacy opportunities that further or fit into Michigan LCV’s issue, accountability, electoral or public education campaigns
● Organizing and attending community events and meetings as well as key points on the local political circuit that build Michigan LCV’s presence in Northern Michigan
● Keeping a steady pulse on the local political lay of the land and local environmental issues, sharing that knowledge with staff and key partners, and using those issues as opportunities to engage citizens in Michigan LCV’s campaigns
● Working with the Development Team to design fundraising strategies and executing those plans in partnership with other staff and board members
We are seeking candidates who excel at building genuine relationships, are self-directed problem solvers and who are looking to become long-term community leaders. You should have:
● A track record of inspiring action, building a team, and doing real, measurable organizing work either for a political campaign or at the community action level
● A commitment to Northern Michigan and raising the profile of environmental issues impacting the area and our state at large (some experience working in the Traverse City area is a plus, but not required)
● The ability to break down complex issues into actions that connect with people personally and motivate them to get involved
● The drive to think creatively about effective organizing work, conceive of new ideas to improve our work and make them happen
● A consistent approach to new ideas with a sense of possibility and a can-do attitude
● A belief that who we elect matters and that the protection of Michigan’s land, air and water should be a political priority
Compensation depends on experience and is competitive. Michigan LCV is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] and include “Northern Michigan Regional Coordinator” in the subject line.