Campaign and Position Overview: Promote the Vote is a grassroots campaign of individuals and organizations committed to ensuring that voting works for all Americans. We believe that increasing citizen access to and engagement with our democracy is critical to the health of our state and our citizenry. By making voting more accessible, secure and fair, our democracy will better serve all Americans and our laws will better reflect the will of the people. Everyone—Republicans, Democrats and Independents—deserves to have their vote secure and counted. The Promote the Vote ballot committee seeks to qualify a constitutional amendment designed to reform our voting laws and ensure fair and accessible elections in Michigan.
The Promote the Vote executive committee seeks a proven leader to serve as its campaign director to develop and implement a statewide campaign to pass a constitutional ballot amendment in November, 2018. This measure is designed to implement election reforms to update Michigan’s voting system and remove obstacles to participation. Candidates should have successful experience managing issue advocacy or ballot campaigns and leadership experience in statewide efforts that include coalition partnerships, lobbying, strategic communications, organizing, and electoral work.
The Campaign Director reports to the Executive Committee of Promote the Vote.
Requirements & Responsibilities:
- Create and develop a strategic plan and budget for a state field and communications operation that moves voters toward an electoral victory in 2018.
- Build a broad, effective grassroots campaign including, but not limited to, coalition building, volunteer recruitment, and event planning.
- Oversee all aspects of the implementation of a statewide campaign plan.
- Hire and manage campaign staff and define roles and negotiate contracts with all vendors and consultants, including fundraising, field, and communications.
- Lead a fundraising team in identifying and soliciting campaign funds and engage and support members of the Executive Committee to help ensure the full funding of the campaign.
- Oversee the development of all paid media production, distribution and broadcast (TV, radio, digital, and direct mail). Manage aggressive earned media campaign.
- Represent Promote the Vote in meetings, conversations and communications with new and existing stakeholders.
- Organize get-out-the-vote activities.
- Collaborate with a diverse set of organizations to create a common vision and purpose that leads to electoral victory.
- Staff the campaign executive committee and ensure its members are consulted on key strategic financial and operational decisions.
- Enable executive committee members to pro-actively engage with their networks to support and implement field operations.
- Manage all aspects of fiduciary oversight, legal administration and adherence to campaign finance reporting requirements.
- Ensure rigorous program evaluation and quality control — formulate and implement corrective action as needed.
A demonstrated commitment to Promote the Vote core values: non-partisanship; voting is more accessible, secure and fair; diversity; and appreciation of the importance of affected stakeholders as participants in decision-making and leadership.
A visionary leader who has confidently engaged others to achieve a common mission and goals; who is effective in confronting and adapting to a challenging political/organizational landscape. Capable and willing to voice respectful and effective dissent when and where appropriate.
A demonstrated, successful management record of attracting and motivating highly talented staff and has success in building and maintaining effective coalition partnerships.
A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
Documented experience in planning, implementation, process improvements, innovation, financial management and building high performance work teams.
The ability to identify clear priorities and to easily articulate the connections between the big picture and specific action plans and timetables.
Demonstrable knowledge of effective and successful field plans, including targeting, voter contact, GOTV and best practices with each.
An effective communicator who has excelled in building successful relationships and a commitment to collaboration. Has an established record of fostering consensus, effectively managing conflict, and provoking creative problem-solving and risk taking, and is inclusive of diverse individual and cultural perspectives.
Has strong written and verbal communication skills, and is a persuasive communicator with strong multidisciplinary project skills.
At least 2 years of political organizing/campaign management experience, including experience with a statewide initiative campaign where volunteer-executed voter identification played a central role in the campaign.
Experience running statewide large scale data-driven field operations.
A proven track record in coalition building, grassroots or field campaign organizing, financial oversight, and public speaking.
Experience in coordinating media purchase, production, and media relations.
Demonstrated fundraising experience and knowledge of campaign funding sources.
Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities, serve as a team leader, and maintain a sense of humor.
Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org a resume, one writing sample, two references, and cover letter describing your interest in this position, commitment to social justice and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above.
Promote the Vote is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, LGBT persons, formerly incarcerated and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.