The Great Lakes Beacon is an independent news outlet that seeks to take statewide issues and use local stories and the people behind them to highlight their importance. The Great Lakes Beacon is a project of Progress Michigan.
Investigative reporting, in-depth storytelling, and people-focused features are areas we want the Great Lakes Beacon to focus on. In an effort to shake up the media landscape in Michigan and put out content that will be appealing to audiences, the Great Lakes Beacon is moving toward a multi-media centered platform with a strong emphasis on video storytelling.
While the Great Lakes Beacon is a project of Progress Michigan, the outlet functions as its own independent outlet with limited participation from Progress Michigan staff. This position has a wide breath of autonomy in terms of the content being produced.
We want a reporter who has a fire in their belly to tell the stories that aren’t being told. To put a human face to the issues facing Michigan. And to create content that is emotionally-gripping, factually-accurate, and will keep audiences coming back for more.
- Lead the Great Lakes Beacon’s storytelling efforts
- Using video storytelling to highlight the issues that matter to communities across Michigan
- Finding interesting stories and unique angles to topics that are not being told in traditional media
- Expanding and updating the Great Lakes Beacon’s social media and online presence
- Filing multiple stories or pieces of content on a weekly basis
- 1-2 years of experience with news reporting or storytelling experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong audio visual skills with the ability to produce and edit your own content
- Must be able to work independently and be willing to travel for reporting duties
- The ability to file stories quickly and on a regular basis
- The willingness to travel and work remotely to file stories
- The ability to create both short, and long-format content
- Knowledge of social media and how to leverage it to increase reach and tell stories
Through the Great Lakes Beacon offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on relevant experience.
Send your resume, cover letter, and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Multi-Media Reporter. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Progress Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, immigrants, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.