West Michigan Communications Organizer
Progress Michigan is a non-partisan, non-profit progressive advocacy organization, government watchdog group, and communications hub for the entire progressive community in Michigan. We seek to make Michigan a more welcoming, sustainable, and equitable place for everyone.
We’re a marketing department for progressive ideas – a campaign that never stops. We’re looking for a full-time West Michigan Communications Coordinator who will work to advance our core mission. We have offices in Lansing and Detroit and are looking to expand our presence and relationships with community groups in West Michigan.
- Lead Progress Michigan’s efforts to establish a presence in West Michigan
- Meet with and develop relationships with community groups that share our values
- Help West Michigan organizations develop and implement communications strategies
- Develop relationships and contacts with West Michigan media outlets
- Lead trainings to assist our partners in message and narrative development, social media, and media relations
- Write talking points, media advisories, press releases, OpEds, and messaging materials
- Perform other duties as assigned
- This position will work primarily in West Michigan, but the applicant doesn’t have to live there if they’re willing to regularly commute to the area
- 2-3 years of professional experience in communications work and/or community organizing
- Excellent writing skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, and able to work effectively in team settings as well as independently
- Strong interpersonal skills, a sense of humor, and the ability to work in diverse settings
- A serious commitment to building intersectional, racial justice-oriented movements
- Knowledge of Michigan’s political landscape and issues that matter to the people of the state, or the ability to learn this information quickly
Progress Michigan offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on relevant experience.
Send your resume, cover letter, and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line West Michigan Communications Organizer. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Progress Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, immigrants, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.