The Michigan League of Conservation Voters is seeking a full-time Communications Director to build and direct a communications program that strategically amplifies the stories of Michiganders impacted by land, air and water issues, drives narratives that lead to wins for Michigan’s environment, and grows a base of activists and advocates who contribute to Michigan LCV’s mission. We are seeking a candidate who can accomplish the above in new, creative, and nimble ways that place people at the center of our work, utilizing video and digital platforms to maximize our reach.
The ideal candidate will be a natural organizer who has sharp instincts and who is able to turn policy or organizing goals into clear communications strategies with the right frame, message, targeted audiences, tactics and platforms to create progress. They will be motivated by working in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment and driven to demonstrate the power that communications work can play in winning advocacy and electoral campaigns. This position is an opportunity to develop a powerhouse communications team, become a spokesperson for a statewide organization, and evolve a communications program into a model for others in the state and the Great Lakes region.
About the Michigan League of Conservation Voters
The Michigan League of Conservation Voters is a statewide political organization whose mission is to elect pro-conservation candidates to office and to hold all decision makers accountable for protecting Michigan’s land, air and water. We work closely with elected officials, business leaders, partner organizations and advocates from across the state, and we have built a reputation as the most-effective non-partisan political voice for Michigan’s natural resources.
The Communications Director, who reports to the Deputy Director, is responsible for the following:
- Developing communications plans that align with Michigan LCV’s campaigns, integrate earned media, online engagement, digital marketing, and fundraising and resonate with targeted audiences
- Developing and managing a team of communications staff to achieve ambitious goals, deliver daily results and grow professionally
- Directing and executing proactive and rapid response media and public relations strategies that create awareness, apply public pressure at the right time, and elevate Michigan LCV’s brand, including at times, serving as the spokesperson for the organization
- Developing core messages that frame and drive narratives toward progress on our issues, keeping our team on message, and creating a culture of effective communication by providing regular messaging guidance and consultation
- Overseeing online advocacy, fundraising and stewardship work to connect with audiences in new ways, and grow Michigan LCV’s base of support
- Overseeing paid communications work across mediums on issue, electoral and/or brand campaigns
- Initiating and implementing new tactics and tools that put Michigan LCV on the cutting edge of communicating effectively, especially as it relates to video storytelling, digital outreach, and online list-building
- Analyzing the successes and failures of and gaps within our communications work and improving our programs based on data, feedback, results
We are seeking candidates who are entrepreneurial and resourceful, who are skilled managers of people and projects , and who are clear, compelling communicators on and off the page. You should have:
- An ability to maximize communications opportunities across mediums and platforms, hustle and get results
- Excellent writing and storytelling skills, and ideas about how to put people at the center of our advocacy work in new and creative ways
- An approach to management that is results-oriented, positive and direct, and experience managing teams of people and multiple projects at once
- An understanding of effective media relations work, including pitching and placing stories and serving as a spokesperson
- An early-adopter mentality about creative skills and tools, continuously learning and testing out new ways to reach people
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting high expectations and a history of getting things done in the face of obstacles
- A consistent approach to new ideas with a sense of possibility and a can-do attitude
- A belief that who we elect matters and that the protection of Michigan’s land, air and water should be a political priority
Compensation depends on experience and is competitive. Michigan LCV is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “Communications Director” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.