Position Location: West Michigan (preference for Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo) and Southeast Michigan (Metro-Detroit)
About We The People: We The People works to build a multi-racial, working class constituency across the state of Michigan that is engaged in community organizing, the development of leaders, and the building of a unified, proactive agenda rooted in economic, racial, and social justice for all Michiganders.
About the Position: We seek part-time or full-time organizers that will work to develop relationships with organizational and community leaders in specific regions across the state, work with the We The People team to host community organizing workshops, work with local leaders to organize and hold community meetings, support local campaigns and work to build leadership teams in targeted counties.
Primary Responsibilities: The organizers will:
- Identify, build and maintain relationships with organizational and community leaders that are actively driving local issue campaigns, working to build power in their community, and engaging people in organizing efforts.
- Recruit core-teams of organizational and community leaders to anchor regional community organizing workshops.
- Work with We The People team and core-teams on executing community organizing workshops, including logistics, recruitment, and overall success of the workshops.
- Invest in and develop leadership teams that are committed to holding community meetings, townhall meeetings, and political education sessions in their communities, with an eye toward targeted counties in the region. Support leaders in building their own bases with organizing tools, facilitate political education to deepen a shared analysis of the structural barriers facing our communities, engage them in leading campaigns, and continuing to build a greater vision for our communities.
- Work to execute goals and metrics set forth by We The People.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
Job Requirements: We are seeking an organizer that meets the following requirements:
- A natural sense of curiosity about people and the ability to relate to them. Experience initiating conversations with community members about their stories, hopes, fears, and challenges, and a willingness to be bold in conversations with strangers and volunteers.
- Experience facilitating meetings, trainings, and/or group gatherings that move people to action.
- Ability to pay attention to the details, be vigilant about tracking goal progress, and meet deadlines.
- Computer literacy and experience with MS Office Suite.
- Willingness to speak up, suggest new ideas, receive feedback, adjust plans to ensure successful completion of goals, and be part of the solution.
- Excellent communications skills through a variety of channels, including written and oral.
- A relational leader and good team player, able to work with a broad team of staff and grassroots leaders, work well with others in a coalition setting, and motivate diverse groups of people.
- A learning mentality and willingness to learn as part of the team.
- Ability to practice showing up for co-workers with consistent follow-through and good communication.
Compensation: We The People part-time organizers will be paid $20/hour. Full-time positions start at 38,000 – 42,000 with benefits.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to WTPjobs@wethepeoplemi.org with the subject WTP Organizer Position.