The primary responsibility of the Communications Specialist is to provide additional communications support for Progress Michigan, a statewide progressive communications hub. The position will report to the Communications Director, working closely with the Deputy Communications Director to generate original written content, social media content and provide partner communications support.
Progress Michigan, a progressive communications hub, was established in 2007 as part of a long-term effort to build Michigan’s collaborative progressive infrastructure. The organization provides a unified, research-driven voice for progressive groups on the issues that matter most to Michigan.
Progress Michigan is committed to working through innovative and integrated coalitions and partnerships in Michigan that advance progressive values and public policy solutions.
There are four goals common to Progress Now affiliates that are embraced by Progress Michigan:
- Build a stronger progressive movement in Michigan. Progress Michigan uses innovative, internet-based organizing and communication tactics to expand public support for progressive causes, organizations and leadership.
- Win advances in progressive public policy. Working closely with other progressive organizations, Progress Michigan offers citizens effective ways to make their voices heard on critical policy decisions that impact our quality of life.
- Generate hard hitting traditional and new media coverage. Progress Michigan works to generate news coverage that shines the public spotlight on progressive solutions to real problems. We maintain a 24-7 rapid response media operation that pulls no punches when taking on the radical right.
- Increase civic participation and educate the public. Progress Michigan activates our members and ensures that the progressive voice is heard on issues that matter to Michiganders. We are a watchdog making sure elected officials are held accountable, we fight for transparency.
REQUIREMENTS: Strong candidates will be skilled in Communications, Research and Technology. However, we encourage candidates to apply who do not have deep expertise in all three areas, but have exceptional skills in one or two areas, and the hunger and aptitude to learn the other areas quickly.
- Identify and frame issues using story-based narratives and with input from staff and allied organizations
- Utilize earned and social media, web based innovative technologies and other creative media outlets
- Write talking points, press releases, OpEds and other communication related documents
- Assist in coordinating multi-market media events using multiple messengers and in coordination with partner organizations
- Assist with independent research projects
- Monitor numerous different news outlets in order to help us drive the conversation
- Adept at figuring out creative ways of leveraging technology
- Skilled at testing new uses of technology and knows how to measure what’s working
- Is familiar with numerous established and emerging web tools
- Likes teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- Can plan and manage complex projects under relentless deadlines
- Is low-ego and high-output (like the rest of our team)
- Can change directions quickly and frequently
- Likes working hard with a hard-working team
- Thrives in a fast-paced office: communicates well on conference calls, IM and email
- This position may be located in either our Lansing, MI or Detroit, MI office
- Minimum of 1-2 years experience in traditional or digital communication.
- Experience with print, television, radio and online media outlets.
- Experience in a fast-paced campaign atmosphere.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong inter-personal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Diplomatic and professional approach to problem-solving.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Ability to work independently, exercising good judgment and discretion.
- Must be a self-starter.
*This position is grant funded for one year with eligibility to renew
Competitive with full vision, dental and health insurance.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates, please apply with the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org using Communications Specialist 2018 in the Subject line:
- A letter describing your interest,
- A detailed resume
- A writing sample
Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply